Today I was reminded that my voice is unique. Sure, I've had friends say that I don't need to say who I am on the phone because they already know it is me, but what happened this evening really made me think that perhaps my voice is a little Janice-on-Friends original (OH. MY. GOD.).
As part of the admissions process, my classmates and I spent a few hours calling and congratulating admitted students and answering any questions they might have about the school. After a 30 minute phone call with a student who more than harbored her share of questions, I was handed a phone when an applicant had called back our line. The conversation went as followed:
Me: Hi, so-and-so my name is X and I am calling to say congratulations on your acceptance and see if you have any questions I can help with.
I was then asked a question and did not really know the answer so I said that I would have someone else get back to him tomorrow with a better answer (it was about money related issues and I just did NOT want to tell him the wrong thing, as that is sensitive and important topic)
He then replied: Did you give a tour with Y? (one of my best friends in the school)
Me: Yes I did.
Him: I remembered your voice. I was on your tour. (insert jaw drop and awkward look here)
Me: Oh! You were on my a little longer than necessary and remotely emo tour day?! (truth, it went almost an hr and a half--supposed to be like 40 minutes--and man did we just get REAL for no reason with our statements and Q and A)
Him: Yeh it was a little long. But actually your interaction with each other and with us is one of the main reasons I am interested in coming there. (cue patting myself on the back)
Me: WOW REALLY?! Thank you for the ego-boost...aren't I supposed to be boosting your ego??
Ultimately, the moral of the story is...distinct isn't bad when you use it to your advantage and life being random (like me even getting this phone call to begin with, let alone him remembering my voice), just makes it THAT much more interesting.
Wednesday, March 23, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I so have a unique voice too! This is a great story!
ReplyDelete