Last night in one of my shoulder pain comas, I decided to watch the MTV Movie Awards. I remember watching them when I was little, and I honestly always found them to be entertaining (I mean they give away a golden popcorn), so I figured...what the hell. While the highlight of the night was obviously Sandra Bullock (and Betty White and Bradley Cooper presenting to her) and her awesome speech correcting tabloid rumors and telling people to go back to making fun of her, I was actually appalled watching the show because people (and by people I mean EVERYBODY--singers, presenters,winners, people in skits..) said the word Fuck a good....100 times (I really wish I kept a running tally total). It actually got so bad that when the dad from Twilight (aka Mike Dexter from Can't Hardly Wait) spoke to accept the award for Best Movie (it is far too easy to make fun of MTV and Twilight here), he said it was the most times he had ever heard the word and then he proceeded to make a joke by using it as many times as he could in the acceptance speech (except, OF COURSE, when thanking Stephanie Meyer..."because she's Mormon"). In fact, the word was said so much that even the censors missed it a few times and you could actually hear the word over the air....Hmm...I wonder how much that will cost MTV.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not remember MTV being this raunchy when I was younger, the Real World, maybe, but not a live award show. Plus, I always thought that the F-bomb made a movie rated R (see Erin Brockovich or the Bodyguard) and was probably one of the worst words to use on TV/in a movie to the censors. One thing is for certain and that is that the use of the word made even me super uncomfortable (well that and Christina Aguilera's performance of her new song that involved a light up heart over her Va-Jay-Jay), and the commercials for the new show following it about the nerd with the big penis (called something like the HARD times of whoever...) did not help MTV's cause.
Ah, how I miss the days of music videos and TRL...even if am sort of excited for the next season of the Jersey Shore (aka Miami Beach ha) to start in July.
Monday, June 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

MTV is pretty raunchy these days.
ReplyDeleteTom Cruise probably said the f-word at least forty times as Les Grossman. But at least his dancing with J-Lo was funny.
Can we talk about how Marky Mark was totally ridiculous when he was hung up on the wires?
ReplyDeleteI, however, would love to see Will Ferrel just hanging above every award show adding commentary.