When we extended our incision into the abdomen (as instructed), it was clear that the cancer had not only metastasized to the liver, but had spread virtually all over her abdomen. We saw what looked like a distended, greenish, tough part of the colon, which we learned was colon cancer. Then, we found an enlarged mass below the level of the ribs, which knowing bare minimum anatomy we knew was "not supposed to be there" and that really "nothing is supposed to be that hard, that rock solid" in the abdomen. Even still, we found little tiny polyps (which sort of look like hanging tear drops) in bunches all along the wall of the abdomen, and, actually in virtually every space that we could find. Word soon spread to our side of the lab, and to our society members, that we were the "cancer donors" and I had to switch gears into instructor mode to teach everyone "what was wrong" and then, let them learn by feeling it themselves. It was crazy how quickly our donor became not just another person on a lab table who had died and donated her body to science, but instead, was now relegated to being simply a disease.
Yet, even though I happily instructed (and frankly, this was the first time in lab that I did not have that feeling like I had studied the wrong material for the test, as previously people were spitting out terms and definitions...no problem, even though we were told not to study before labs and to learn by doing), it hit close to home to see this case from a gross perspective, as my Great Aunt passed away from Ovarian Cancer. It thus became an almost out of body experience for me to see how bad this cancer was, and to see what it did to ravish the body of my donor (especially since I knew little of the disease). If I learned anything in lab on Friday, it was not the direction of the different layers of the abdominal muscles, or the names of the different surgical instruments and how to suture (oh yes, we were expected to learn by using for the tools--basically a scalpel and like 45 different kinds of scissors-- and to pick up suturing with a 2 minute instruction and then proceed to suture up every incision we made to "better preserve the bodies"), it was that ovarian cancer is a bitch, and one that I hope to never run into in my lifetime. In fact, I write about this to you, well mostly my female readers, as my own PSA, especially since ovarian cancer has pretty unnoticeable symptoms until it has metastasized (which I, and hopefully you, now can visualize). Pay attention to your body, go to the doctor, take care of yourself, and hey, if you are on the fence about having a baby in the future, apparently having one and breast feeding it for at least a year lowers your chances of getting the disease. Let's do my donor justice and learn more than just anatomy from her.

No comments:
Post a Comment