This past week I was revisiting Northwestern for medical school and, as usual, I made a fantastic first impression. The first day I was there I met a friend who, unfortunately for the rest of the world, has the exact same inappropriate, lack of a filter, sense of humor as me. We were the ones rallying the troops to go to a bar at 7 pm instead of continuing to schmooze, and we were the ones getting dirty looks from a large majority of nerdy science people for doing so. Luckily, like me, my new friend could care less what other people think and our night at the bar (with the cool people in the class who came with us), complete with us winning pool twice on the good team's faults (scratching on the 8 ball, and getting it into the wrong pocket), was fantastic.
The next day, however, we quickly realized that sitting next to each other during a serious "let's learn about the history of the school" lecture was a BAD. IDEA. Somewhere between the ancient history of the medical school and the more recent history, like current research initiatives, etc, we both broke down into an uncontrollable giggle fit. I think it was brought on by this picture of a school founder (??) who instead of a beard had sort of a "neck-fro", and my friend's off-the-cuff response to viewing him, "I'd hit that". But, the real problem was that neither of us could stop. It was like being in middle school and giggling in the back of the room (I would probably have gotten kicked out of class for this), only the room was filled with overachieving pre-meds and the dean of admissions, and, we were laughing while he discussed the first black student at the university (fantastic. timing). We both tried to stop looking at each other (by playing with our phones), tried to breathe (hyperventilate is more like it), and were even asked by our friends next to us if we "needed to excuse ourselves". Luckily, after a good 10 minutes of a tickle-me-Elmo worthy fit, and making ourselves out to be even bigger fools, we finally stopped laughing.
However, that does not mean we were done completely. My friend definitely got me laughing again by screaming out "SHOW US YOUR MOVES" (people thought she said boobs...) to some kid who put on jock jams (really??) to pump us up for his speech on the school senate and told us to dance (she, on the other hand, wanted him to dance), and by asking me during this poll question of "Are you a male or a female?" what the student in our class who was clearly "in transition" from male to female would put (inappropriate, I KNOW.). While I know that our timing was not exactly perfect, and perhaps the world is not quite ready for the both of us together, as my blog readers, you know, that I LOVE to laugh. Therefore, it should come as no surprise to you that this uncontrollable giggle fest alone brought the trip up from a 6 to a 10 ;).
Monday, April 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I am glad that I can make you smile.
ReplyDeleteWorth it.