Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Crazy Magnet

Upon first meeting me you probably think my life is pretty boring. I'm a boarding school kid, sorority member, an Ivy league grad, the youngest of four, and a future doctor....Honestly, I am pretty much a textbook example of a word like "nerd" or "overachiever".



But lately I have realized that my life is in no way boring, nor is it actually depressing like I once believed. It is actually pretty freaking amusing. It all started when I began to notice that my friends would use phrases like "that would only happen to you" or "you are like a magnet for this stuff" whenever I would tell them a story. I then started to make a mental note of all the things in my life that just did NOT happen to other people. Getting stalked by a town car driver...check....choosing a cab driver who tells me he is going to be on the news for "blowing up all the rich people in DC"...check...getting a porn virus that makes inappropriate desktop icons on my work computer not once, but twice...check...hearing a hobo singing, not rap, but sugarland on the metro...check....being hit on by an enormous African American woman in the bathroom of a movie theater...check. AND these are just the interactions I have had with people I have never met before...don't even get me started on my friends/acquaintances/people I love. I quickly came to the conclusion that no, my life is not average, and no, I never really say FML, but my life, my life is REALLY REALLY random.

Not only am I a magnet for crazy, but I was blessed with a very blunt, very sarcastic way of viewing events and commenting on them. Yes, I am the friend who tells you the reasons I do not like your boyfriend, but you somehow don't hate me for it. Some friends of mine continue to tell me I get this trait from my father, and in fact started to laugh the first time they realized it and really havent stopped laughing about it since. Prime example: I just got a phone message from him as my dog has been really sick and all he says is: "Hey, just calling to see how life in poop-ville is...."...and then he hung up. But, even if my dad's sense of humor and sarcastic wit are to blame for some of the random in my life, as fathers and daughters go, at least we are much better off than:



AND more normally close to each other than:



Oh, and a word to the wise: at first my way of thinking might make reading my blog hard to follow, but don't worry there is a method to my digressions and a point to all of my A.D.D. moments....I think :)

So, I have decided that instead of writing page long emails, or sending a million texts about the random occurrences in my life or thoughts in my head... I should share them with cyberspace. I will also include thoughts on my other favorite things: tv (thank you dvr), movies, and books. Before I begin, a note to readers: in order to not embarrass a friend, if the story is true, and about them...I am going to figure out a way to make it anonymous...and to the friends I write about, know this is all out of love...because without you... my life would be just a little more normal.

1 comment: