Thursday, January 21, 2010

Plastic Baby Blankets

Today I walked by a Chinese woman pushing her baby in a stroller...covered in plastic. Not just on the stroller part like it could have come packaged like that, but actually covering her child completely. Ok, it was a little bit cold out, and maybe the plastic was "keeping the baby warm", but whatever happened to good old fashioned blankets or simply baby winter clothes??

If it was not to protect against the cold, I couldn't help but think it was to protect against germs. H1N1 or bird flu epidemic style. I apologize because I know picturing Asian people in masks is insanely stereotypical, but I kept envisioning this plastic covering as just a giant baby mask. The only difference being you can breathe through the fabric of masks.


No matter what the reason for this crazy baby protector sheeth (I tried to take a picture but my "Did that just happen" reflexes were too slow), maybe I should have called child services. Along with keeping children's hands away from the hot stove, keeping plastic bags away from them, and their heads, is a cardinal rule of child care. I know this and I neither have a child, nor have I ever really baby sat (a perk, I suppose, to being the youngest of four). When it comes to suffocating and dying, or getting sick or feeling a little bit cold outside, I'd chose the later two options. Too bad the baby's opinion does not count.

2 comments:

  1. my friend Elena has a 14 month old in NYC. Anyways, saw her over the weekend and she also has the plastic tent thing but she said it's mostly for wind. Makes sense I guess? Just in a big city... I'd never use that in Florida... hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. it looked like it could kill the baby. seriously did not look like a tent...it looked like a plastic bag.

    ReplyDelete