Monday, January 25, 2010

No Dogs Allowed

On Amtrak and on the Metro...there are NO DOGS ALLOWED. This rule puts a huge cramp in my style as I can't go away long weekends or overnight somewhere without my dog, but due to these rules it seems almost impossible to bring him. Or so I thought.....



This is my dog in a normal bag. He is about 5 lbs and fortunately for me, is not a yelpy, yappy small dog. Inside the bag are his toys and his bed, and the little corner he is trying to escape from exists so that he can still breathe. Obviously I would love to put him in a pet carrier, but this would be like screaming at the top of my lungs "I HAVE A DOG"...and I am pretty sure it would not work out. I first tried this maneuver on the train to Philly for Christmas and despite an hour train delay, having to sit next to someone on the train, and a very jumpy(even if he was quiet) dog in a bag, no one noticed he was there. Yes, not even the person I was sitting next to noticed my bag moving against her leg, or saw him when I took him out and he sprawled out on my lap for the entire ride underneath my jacket (Side note, I have to take him out for the ride because he is REALLY good at zippers and he will push against it until he is out anyway). People are SO oblivious.

Since it worked out both times on the train, I figured I could try the metro. Once again, super sedated tiny pup was quiet and survived the trip no problem. But, people around me definitely thought I was talking to myself...and tried to stand/sit clear of the unmedicated schizophrenic on the train. In reality, these trips are harder on me than my dog as I am all awkward and nervous about getting in trouble the entire time. I keep thinking, "Will they kick me off the train/metro??" and "What would I do, then, if I was stranded somewhere?". Mini heart attacks aside...it sure beats having to ruin my social life for my dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment