Sunday, March 28, 2010

Breaking A Social Norm

In college as a project for a popular course (I think it was social psychology), students were told to break a social norm. One friend of mine paid for an entire 10 dollar food bill in pennies (and watched people pissed off at her acting like a grannie), and another rode up and down an elevator for hours (seeing a lot of the same people get on and off and royally pissing them off). While all of these are hilarious, and it is was so funny hearing how awkward people got when the norms were broken around them, unfortunately I did not take this class, and therefore never had this experience. However, all of that changed when I tried to get a drink at the airport restaurant and became a lab rat (and not one of those doing the experimenting). 

One of my favorite beer places in DC is Gordon Biersch, and lucky for me, when I arrived at the airport it was in my terminal. Having just over an hour before boarding, I was in the mood for a good hefeweizen. The restaurant was crowded and before I even got a chance to look for a free table, a hostess grabbed me and directed me to a 2 person table....where another man was already seated. As she shuffled me to my seat like a speed dater, she said to me, "He doesn't mind", and left me to "enjoy" the most awkward drink of my life. 


Not only was my table mate many times my age (and definitely not my type or a "silver fox"), this man did not talk to me the entire time (despite my many attempts at small talk and my multiple "talk to me this is so awkward" stares in his direction). Yes, even though I was basically on a date with him as he sat across the table from me like he was the Hugh Hefner to my Kendra, I actually felt more like I was drinking alone. There is something about sitting with someone, when you feel like they should be talking to you, and they don't, that is just much more of a rejection. Suffice it to say, I drank quickly and got the EFF out of there. I definitely did not sign on to pay for a beer and an awkward date with a geriatric man.

7 comments:

  1. how in the world did you manage to nonchalantly take a picture of him? also, he looks quasi-important. politician?
    def a mlir-quality post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, this is completely odd. Has it really gotten to the point where you can't sit alone at a table? Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. J- I am turning into a stellar stalker...I think it's a problem. But, it also shows how he completely ignored me for his entire meal. I just lifted my phone and took it. OOPS. I also agree that he looks important. I was going to ask him his deal (my detective skills told me his pin on his jacket meant something)...but all he ever said was hi...hmmm.

    TTD- I KNOW. I didnt feel like I could call on my phone or read a book because I felt like he was at my table...sooooooo awkward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel so bad for u but I myself would of high tailed it out of there and said screw the drink.

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg that pic is so f-ing classic!!
    that story made me LOL- was the restaurant, like, crowded, or something? and how did the girl know he didn't mind?
    ~stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was crowded...but I feel like she didn't even look at the tables she was just like sit...with this old dude...go. The same thing happened at the table next to me and the people were SO confused.

    She basically asked him when she brought me over like...sit here, he wont mind...will he? (even more awkward)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL. this is hysterical. I would have died!

    ReplyDelete