Thanks to Turner Classic Movies 31 days of Oscar (I can never remember this number, it is seriously a bizzare choice), my DVR, and Netflix, I have gotten back into the habit of watching movies. For someone who is admittedly a TV addict, it is nice to have a break from the normal shows and get into some new (well often old) movies. I always feel that like famous books, famous movies are talked about and quoted, and if you do not seem them, you are really missing out on a key aspect of our cultural experience. Also, even though I sometimes choose pretty randomly odd movies to watch, I will fully disclose anything that I have seen (Come On I admitted to DVRing the Secret Life of the American Teenager... I am not ashamed) and my thoughts about them. I will not, however, really describe the plots (or ruin the endings), so if you want to know about the movies themselves, I suggest using the internet for help.
The Outsiders: I feel like at some point in my distant past I have seen this movie, but I liked it. It is amazing when old movies have such a fantastic class of talent (Rob Lowe, Tom Cruise, Swazye, Emilio Estevez, Matt Dillon...and even freaking Diane Lane) a la St. Elmo's Fire , but then a lot of the most talented people today, had the smallest parts then. The movie is really depressing (I don't always dig sad endings) but good, and made me think I should read the book. Have any of you read it??
Chinatown:

My first reaction was WOW. Faye Dunaway was PRETTY. I think when you see someone only as an older star and their looks sort of grow up differently, it is amazing to see them younger....and she looked...different than I thought she would...good different.
My next reaction: I HATE the ending. All in all the movie had good acting (also had Jack Nicholson) and pretty shocking twists and turns (like I actually was confused and did not expect most of them and it has a good mystery feel), but I DO NOT LIKE plots that end depressingly (or abruptly like No Country for Old Men), right when you are starting to like a character, or when you finally get into a movie.
My Final Thought: The movie had a good last line in a Casablanca sort of way. It is pretty powerful when in context, "Forget it Jake, It's Chinatown", and is actually number 3 on this guy's top 50 movie endings.
Ghost: I was too young to watch this movie when it came out, and I seem to always forget that I have seen the whole thing before (like so much that I forget what happens). The movie is pretty cheesy for a lot of it (like some of the heaven/hell images are strange), it has a good title song that gets stuck in your head (OOOO my..my darling...I hunger..for...your touch), an insane sex scene, and all in all a creative premise for 1990. I think it must really resonate with a lot of people who have lost love for one reason or another....and to them, this movie could be more powerful, than cheesy.
The Hurt Locker: As I often do before the Oscars, I tried to watch the nominated movies that were out on DVD already. My first choice, which turned out being a good choice since it won, was Kathryn Bigelow's film. I REALLY liked the directing (she definitely deserved this award), and how you actually felt like you were with them disabling bombs, but truth be told it was a little too warrish for me...and the whole plot just got old. I am happy, however, that this movie beat out Avatar as I firmly believe that just because a movie made money and tricked people into going with its' special effects, does not mean it is the best of the year. There is something called plot that matters too.
Inglourious Basterds: I have friends who do not often see movies, and they RAVED about this one, so obviously when it came out on DVD I had to see it. I think I skipped out on it in the theater because I was scared it was too bloody and gory (scalping...seriously?), but with their approval I knew I would be OK. Just like Kill Bill, this movie had chapters, was full of action, and had a pretty rich plot. It is no question why Christoph Waltz got the Oscar (though all his acceptance speeches are WEIRD metaphors no one understands...seriously dude, just say thank you) as he was scarily intimidating and good. My issue with this film, however, was that he took real history and changed it. Unfortunately, it was sort of hard for me to wrap my head around the ending. I just kept going THAT DID NOT HAPPEN...and I wish I could've been more open to it.
Kramer Vs. Kramer:

Unlike my thoughts about Faye Dunaway I am convinced that Meryl Streep actually got better with age. Obviously, she was GORGEOUS when she was younger, but for some reason her nose didn't match her face as much as it does now. Besides this, I am pretty confused how she won an Oscar for this film (this was before she was the queen of nominations), when I think she was in like 15 minutes total if I sat and timed it (is that all it takes to be "supporting"??). OK, so the movie was AWESOME, VERY sad but VERY good (my friends kept crying and apparently I am a heartless person because I had no tears. Interestingly, I have been crying a lot during the Ellen Show lately when she gives cars and money to deserving people and not in this legitimately sad movie when other people are crying. It was no My Girl, but I think my emotions are a little out of whack), and maybe she just got lumped in with the success of the film. But, I have definitely been more impressed with her other performances, one's where she is actually in the movie. Oh, and the little kid in this movie was FREAKING PHENOMENAL. Whatever he was selling, or well doing, I totally bought, and am not shocked at all that he was an Oscar Nominee at age 8.
September Issue: While I am not a fashiony person, I do enjoy watching Rachel Zoe, Project Runway, and even Top Model. This documentary of the Vogue September issue, however, was BORRRRRRRRRRRRING. I literally almost turned it off (and briefly fell asleep), which is sad because I wanted to learn about the magazine making process and about the real Devil Wears Prada. Since Anna Wintour agreed to be in it, she obviously did not come off as a bitch, and the only thing I really liked about the film was watching how they design editorial spreads. Also, have you ever noticed how a lot of people high up in the fashion world are not actually that pretty, and do not really dress that well?? Just like the Kell on Earth person, Grace Coddington, the Creative Editor at Vogue and probably coolest person in the film, is very un-fashion (OK, so she used to be a model and very Vogue-esque, but older Grace is not like that at all). Is this a form of those who can't do...teach?

How to Marry a Millionaire: Featuring a lot of class in Betty Grable, Marilyn Monroe, and Lauren Bacall, this movie is completely amazing. I laughed out loud many times (rare for old movies, which for me usually require more thought) and was utterly impressed by the fact that with no cursing, no sex scenes, and very classy outfits, this movie still found a way to be...well...sexy. Even Marilyn (who I always pictured to be the Happy Birthday Mr. President Marilyn), plays this funny part of a girl who won't wear glasses because they are unattractive and won't help her get a guy, but without them she is virtually blind. In addition, even though you sort of root for Lauren Bacall to fail, it is all sort of funny how it works out and she finds her man. This is a must-watch movie in my opinion and I am glad I recorded it.
Angus, Thongs, and Full Frontal Snogging: When my sister went abroad to London for the year, and then Bridget Jones came out, these books were described as the Bridget Jones for the "tweens", and to be cool with my sister, I was into them. They were pretty funny and made me feel British by learning about words like Snogging. I was not a fan enough to go see this film version in the theater, but this kind of film is exactly what Netflix is for. I, however, was pretty unimpressed with it and was mostly confused by the girls' stalking abilities (much worse than me as they watched their rival girl undress to see her in a thong. AWKWARD.) and their insane vocabulary. Honestly, they used abbreviations and British slang words so much that I thought I needed subtitles. I think my favorite was...slore (the bastard child of slut and whore).
Alice in Wonderland: Not being the greatest fan of Tim Burton's version of Willy Wonka, and being freaked out by the trailers for the film, I was not quick to go see this movie. However, when a visiting friend suggested the idea, I manned up and was actually impressed. While I did not like the 3D aspect (seriously do not use 3D just so a butterfly can fly at my face) and staring at it at points gave me headaches, I liked that it was a sequel and he did not try to mess with your understanding of the first one (Though I am much less attached to the first Alice than the first Willy Wonka ). It was also very the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe-y and was definitely interesting to follow (and a movie you can bring a kid to). Johnny Depp was crazy, as usual, and as always, I liked Anne Hathaway. Oh, and random trivia for you, a girl from the Angus movie was also in this...Let's just say that I definitely did not expect that one.
And, speaking of movies to look forward to, the Eat, Pray, Love trailer was just released and I am liking how they changed around the book to make it into a movie... Well, SO FAR.

glad to see the kramer v. kramer shout out.. it really was an unexpectedly GREAT movie. and also glad to see you finally watched inglorious basterds and yes, the ending is totally fake but... the acting and the story line are. a.m.a.z.i.n.g. oh, and no country for old men is also one of the best movies out there so i disagree with you on that one :)
ReplyDeleteI am not saying that it is bad...just that it...ends and you are sort of like...WTF why did it end?! I liked the movie besides that. Glad to see you are watching movies hahaa ;)
ReplyDeleteTry watching Inglorious Basterds from the third row in a movie theatre. You just can't look away from the scalping scenes!
ReplyDelete