This weekend I had visitors and it was fantastic (Side note, These friends write a blog which is worth checking out if you like to cook, or if you live in Philadelphia and like restaurants). I would classify the time as way more fun, than random, but as always there were a few things worth mentioning.
In terms of touristy things, we went to the Zoo. But, due to weather (we were thinking cheetahs and snow were not an appropriate combination) and closing times (seriously how do you close the animal cages, and why? Are the animals sleeping??), we barely saw any animals. As only I would go to a zoo and not see any animals, lucky for us, the pandas (really the only unique exhibit) were still open.
See Panda Eat.
While I wanted to get in the cage and play with the red panda (and that would have been a sight to see), the randomness of the zoo trip came in the "educational" materials about the pandas. By reading, I learned the weirdest, most unnecessary, things:
- Panda babies are hideous looking. If survival was based on looks alone, it is no question why panda's are endangered (just with one of the DC panda's they lost about 6 panda babies). I feel like panda's are the ugly kid in your class that when you go to a reunion is now a stud, you know, they go from zero to amazing cuddly puff balls in just a few years of growth. Ridiculous.

- Pandas can do yoga. Images of flexible panda bears in poses only the best yogi (the person, not the bear) could imagine doing, were plastered on all of the walls. I can only hope one time I visit I can see a panda accomplishing such an amazing feat.
- Panda's Poop Pinecones (step right up kids- you can touch this exhibit). Oh, and try saying that three times fast.
- Not pictured, but just as amazing, in the exhibit you can look through microscopes at pictures of panda sperm and eggs, and even see a panda getting artificially inseminated (the view is the one you would least like to see). Talk about panda sex ed....for kids.
After chilling with the pandas, we also spent some time in the monkey house. This was the smelliest monkey place I have ever been in and I literally tried to fan away the stench (to my friends laughing and saying to me that is not going to help and unfortunately for me, they were right). I think I would not have even stayed in this area if it weren't for the most amazing thing I have ever seen...the orangutan. Now, orangutans have always been up there in my favorite animals (mostly the babies), but this orangutan (seen below in this crazy straw nest he/she made), spent a good 20 minutes shoving a piece of straw all the way up his/her nose to pick it (like you could barely see the straw any more it was so far up there), pulling it back out, and then licking the straw. This occurred multiple times, and suffice it to say, we spent a good deal of our lives watching an orangutan use a tool to pick his/her nose. Gross, maybe, an all time low, perhaps, but it was also fantastic.
On the way back from the zoo, as usual, randomness followed. My friends were minorly stalked by a guy who "swore that he knew them from somewhere" and despite trying to ignore his awkward attempt to hit on them, he was bold, and quite persistant. He even tried to decide they knew each other from a church function, in Michigan, when they have only been there once, for a family reunion. Note to guys, this is not a good way to hit on anyone, and it is creepy. We were not amused.
Post zoo, and post 2 yummy meals (seriously if you live in or go to DC eat at Founding Farmers), we went to my friends for game night. I know I have mentioned game night before, but it has well, evolved. Below is a picture of the weeks' game board.
In this game which is a mix of apples 2 apples, pictionary, and trivia, we had to make our way through different fantasy movies/books (complete with matching soundtrack) by winning the different questions. For example, an apples 2 apples question for Harry Potter might be "What is harry potter's greatest weakness" and then everyone writes an answer and the person judging picks the best one. The winner here, "Dead Parents". I was proud of myself because after a late start, I ended up being close to winning. I think this was due to my ability to randomly associate my friends drawings with movie words (except the time she was trying to draw a furry hobbit foot and I thought it was a tower), and my knowledge of Willy Wonka (all 4 non-charlie kids- first and last names). All in all, I have to give props to my friend for the creation of this masterpiece and the time he spent making it. I can't wait for more game nights, and DTF Philly edition.
At around 1:30, post someone finally winning the game, my friends got talked into going to the shaddy dive bar my DC friends love. Despite not really wanting to go because they saw reviews of its' creepiness (look up Dan's Cafe), I think it was not THAT bad for them. Being pretty tired and not in a big drinking mood, we went there with one purpose, and only purpose only, to win photo hunt. For those of you who have not played photo hunt at the bar let's just say it involves finding the differences between two photos of...well, naked girls. After perfecting our technique, ultimately, we got 2nd place. To put this in perspective, my friend said since it is a shaddy game, in the most popular shaddy bar, we must be freaking great at it. He said we should tell our parents and put it on our resume (number 2 of ALL time). Just another thing porn related for me to add.
Also, as if the night was not amazing and randomly great enough, while trying to find a cab (which again took fooooooorever...), we saw a person who had been punched in the face (DC is ridiculous), and my friends quickly learned just how creepy the cab drivers are here (one asked them if they were going to the Canadian embassy because of the address and "their Canadian accent" and we pretty much got into a fight with our cab driver on the ride home from the bar as he tried to pick up more people in our cab) . I guess it is good to know that it is not just me. All in all, I had an AMAZING weekend and if possible, I love these friends even more.

No comments:
Post a Comment